Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Staunton River State Park Camping Trip - Part One

My husband and I finally got our camping gear out of the closet and went on a weekend trip! I put it off in the spring, summer got busy with Mom's surgery, and I couldn't stand the idea of a whole year going by without pitching the tent and wrapping some breakfast quesadillas in aluminum foil to toss on the fire. I wanted to throw a quick entry together so that I'll remember some of the special places we stopped during our adventure.

We had to wait around for the DirecTv technician to come by and install our new HD receiver on Friday morning. Jeff has been wanting to upgrade for a while, but I was resistant. I don't like paying extra for the HD when we can't use the included On Demand features (no internet at home). Also, I have hours of old Fit TV programming saved on the DVR receiver we've been using, and didn't want to sacrifice some of those old favorites. I finally conceded and agreed to the new receiver, putting the old receiver in our den. Sheesh. I feel like a moron for all my, "It won't even be that big a difference!" arguments... it's like we have a brand new TV! I almost wanted to cancel the trip to veg out in front of it all weekend, but no! The great outdoors awaited us!

We took the route I used to drive to Longwood - I64 to I295, use the Route 10 cut-through to I95, hop on 288 North, and hop off for the long haul on Route 360 West. We stopped at Walmart to pick up a new cooler, since we'd been meaning to for a while and saw the trip as a great excuse. Next up was lunchtime!

I searched for a small, locally-owned and well-reviewed place on TripAdvisor while Jeff navigated the Friday afternoon traffic. Twenty minutes later, we were at Hatcher Dining and Catering in Amelia Courthouse, and were greeted with an enthusiastic, "HELLO!" from the woman behind the counter and the other table of patrons enjoying a late lunch. Jeff got a tuna salad special, and I ordered the grilled ham and cheese with their special side for the day, green beans. Everything was super tasty. Their desserts looked fresh, but we were too stuffed to eat anything else... so I got some pecan pie and carrot cake to enjoy later tee hee.

A few hours and a few fun back roads later, we found Staunton River State Park and got our campsite all set up. The tent was still in great condition, our canopy was sturdy, and our two camping chairs made for a perfect home for the next two days.





We headed to South Boston for dinner with a craving for some Mexican grub. I've got some family in this area, and have seen a few Facebook posts of them at Mi Caretta, so we headed there to check it out. Holy guacamole! It was fantastic. I tried the Texas Quesadilla, which I try anywhere that offers it as a dish. It's just like the biggest freaking quesadilla you can get. It's got all the proteins in it, plus cheesy goodness, and onions and peppers. Jeff had the shrimp chimichanga and made lots of funny moaning noises that indicated lots of enjoyment over on that side of the booth. We also had a good time speculating about who would sit in this chair:



Heh heh. Jeff snapped another picture of me sitting in the low chair, but it's on his phone, and I have already bugged him at work enough this week for things like: finding some kirtan music for me, making pasta salad for me, buying sandwich baggies for me, etc.

Okay this trip report is getting a little more long-winded than I'd expected! Stay tuned for part two, in which I will cover our excellent winery sampling on Saturday complete with a meadery! Bees?

No comments:

Post a Comment