Friday, October 18, 2013

Pillows and perspective

It's Friday! Despite being off for Columbus Day on Monday, this week has felt pretty long. There's not much going on at work, still, so I've had lots of time to do some textbook reading for the group fitness instructor certification and to sit here wishing I were at home being this lazy.

I turned a finished cross-stitch into a Christmas pillow for Jeff's dad and stepmom! I'm pretty excited that I managed to sew a pillow without it looking dumpy. I even learned how to do a ladder stitch to close up the opening that I stuffed it with. It's not perfect, but you can only see the imperfections if you're being hypercritical and looking for them... which reminded me that most of the disappointments I find in myself are only apparent because I'm being hypercritical. If I take a step back and look at the pillow as a whole, I'm completely in love with my work. It's all about perspective, and I sometimes forget I'm allowed to choose my perspective.

There will be a picture of said pillow after Christmas. I never know who might stumble across my blog. I've been working on some ornaments and have plans for a few other sewn gifts. I love the holidays. There's already Christmas stuff up in Walmart and I'm always so happy when it first goes up. Yes, I'll be tired of it in a few weeks, but for now I'm savoring each time I walk through the garden center and see their perfect rows of fake trees. And shiny things! Yay!

Fitness has been pretty good lately, but I still feel like I've lost the strong motivation I'd had over the past few years. Which is frustrating. It's like I woke up one day a few months ago and just didn't like working out anymore. Plus, while it seemed like a breeze to complete Body Revolution last year, this time really messed with my knees. I had to take some time off. So I've been switching it up a bit and bouncing around to find the workouts that I enjoy. If there's one fitness tip that will help keep anyone healthy, it's to enjoy your fitness program. I'm doing some dumbbell and bodyweight work at home and keeping track of my strength gains on paper. I was doing a step aerobics class through the parks and recreation department a county south of mine, since it's on my home from work, but the timing really messes with me. I have to wait around an hour before it starts, and then get home about a half an hour before I like to be in bed. I skipped both sessions this week and emailed the instructor that I hope to come back next week, but it's pretty unlikely. I did go home and workout each of the times I missed, so I didn't beat myself up too badly. Evening commitments are just not a good idea for me. That time that I like to be in bed by? It's 7:30pm. I wake up really, really, really early.

Not too much else is going on. I have an evening planned with a great friend from college in Richmond tonight, and then tomorrow I'm making some ravioli which I'm pretty jazzed about. Sunday we have family dinner with Jeff's family, and we'll get to give his dad and sister some birthday presents. And also: pumpkin cheesecake. Jeff's going to make some, I think. YAY!

I hope everyone out there has a fantastic weekend and is feeling light and open.

No comments:

Post a Comment